Extra Inspired - Joanna/Imogen Cunningham

The following is our first "extra credit" inspiration. (Can anyone think of a better name than "extra credit"?  Please.)  Thanks to Joanna for starting the year off with such a lovely post.  Things are a bit reformatted because of the blog size and such.  If you would like to see the post as she intended please hop on over to her blog.  If you would like to participate in the ACoLab please see our monthly inspirations or the extra inspiration page.  Enjoy!


Destination Unknown - inspired by Imogen Cunningham

 
(Above: "Fairy Lights" & "Innocence" .  Below: "Temptation" & "Soft and Hard")
 
Imogen Cunnigham was born and raised in the Pacific Northwest.  She began her photographic studies at the University of Washington and went on to become one of photography's early pioneers and commenced what became one of the longest photographic careers in the history of the medium.
 

In the 1920's Cunningham turned her attention to artistic nudes of friends and family and the study of plant forms found in her garden.  The results are staggering; an amazing body of work comprised of bold, contemporary forms.
 (Below Images: "Mother Nature Sees All" and "Tired")



I love the work she did, and because she had various subject matters, I am going to use her as my muse inspiration for this month and try and tackle a number of her subject matters which is going to be hard because she did nudes, plant forms, and portraits and they were incredible. 

(To the left: "Ripe")
I don't for one minute think that what I will produce will be as iconic as what she did, what it will do however is provide me with a focus in which to experiment and challenge and educate myself, after all that is what the early pioneers of photography did, and photography to me is my own way of exploring me, what I see, what I want to express and I do love contemporary art a lot! 


(Right image: "Soft to the Touch")


This is so exciting, and I hope that you enjoy what to me feels like the start of a journey to Destination Unknown - although maybe for me that will be getting to understand Imogen Cunningham a little more and tackling subjects that I have not!

(Below: "Past it's Prime", " Dangerous",  "V is for", "Propaganda")
  

So firstly, thank you Anika for coming up with such stunning inspirations for 2011, I feel like 2011 is the start of a long journey for me...... 


 
(Above, top row: "Fanny Fan Fan", and "Bamboo Garden"
Above bottom row: "Hanging Fruit" and "Shiny")

2 comments:

Anika said...

These are great Joanna! I can definitely see how she inspired you, fantastic!

R Montalban said...

Anika, you are just the best, and I cannot thank you enough for coming up with this as I am on a roll (you will see from my i-phone images - and there are more to follow which I think need to go in a set/post on their own too)!

Love your layout, think you are going to have to teach me how you do this type of layout.

I am so glad that you see how she inspired me, she is/was incredible and I am so so inspired - thank you, thank you, thank you.